Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Voice of one Nigerian.

It has been a very eventful day for me, been trying to write an article all day and so far I have successfully chosen and discarded eight different titles. In the midst of all this, my phone has been beeping with responses to my facebook status msg and the news channels are all screaming abt the new spate of killings in Jos, Nigeria.

Something tells me if I don't collect my thoughts, I would soon be confused so I am going to stick to the media campaign we have embarked upon. A simple campaign really, our aim is to educate the voters in my home country Nigeria to register to vote in the next elections, to actually come out and vote and also to be prepared to defend their votes with everything they've got. The campaign is aptly themed 'onevote', expressing our strong conviction that every vote counts and that one vote could make the difference and that the most important vote is each person's vote.

I have gotten a lot of mixed reactions concerning this campaign, many have lauded the initiative and even made commitments to spread the word and lead the move in their own circle of influence. While I appreciate these positive feedbacks, I am more concerned about the negative feedback which show me how much work we really need to do in getting the message of this campaign to hit home with young Nigerians. As things stand, the average Nigerian Youth has no faith in the democratic system and all its structures and the truth is one cannot fault this scepticism and even indifference-cum-disdain.

This blog seeks to ask a few questions, viz: What is ur take on the Nigerian Democratic system, do you think we can make a change by standing up responsibly to do the right thing enmasse or do you think the powers that be will prevail against our collective might in this next dispensation, what are your suggestions on how to successfully cause a positive change in the political terrain from the standpoint of voter education? I eagerly await all responses. Nigeria will regain her lost glory, let's stand up for what we believe in. One Vote can make a difference and that vote is yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment